Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reply To: Anonymous

There are several things to look at when you are deciding to work for a large company over a small company. The biggest difference between large and small is the overall way that they operate. A large company will most likely be operated mostly through the use of satellites and computers, where as most smaller companies will still find using the phone for dispatch. You'll have to forgive me because this could get a little lengthy, but trucking is something I am very passionate about, and I love to inform people especially those that know nothing about the industry because its a shame that we have gotten to a point where truck drivers don't get the respect that they deserve, nor do, in most cases, the truck drivers give the motoring public the respect that they deserve, but thats another story for another time, I will try to post that later on.



I can't really say if I prefer small or large companies, Im still torn on that subject, but they both have advantages and disadvantages, and some people like to operate a different way. I like large companies because they have the ability to have freight in most cases even when freight is slow. Smaller companies may slow down as the economy slows down. I prefer smaller companies on the fact that generally they do not have computer systems that track every little thing that the driver does. Most companies do have computer and satellite systems, large or small, but the uses of these systems vary greatly. Large companies tend to do 90% of their business over computers and satellites, like dispatching, getting directions, and most communications with your dispatcher are done through text messages on the satellite. Keep in mind I have only actually worked for one large company and one small company, but I believe these differences will hold true through most of the companies. Smaller companies, the one I work for, only use the satellite mainly for truck and trailer positioning. For example, you would send a message when u pick up or drop a trailer, or when you make a delivery or pickup, but then once you send the message, you would still call in to find out your next work assignment.

Most people are under the misconception that you are just a number to the larger companies, but this is only true to a certain point. Yes to the bigwigs in the corporate offices, you are just a number, but most of the time, you deal with a small group of people, for me was about 4 people, and that group only interacts with 50-60 drivers. So its kind of like having a small company atmosphere inside the larger company.

Many people like the fact that the satellite can track your hours and wont let you work over them, but I don't. I am a firm believer that truck drivers are grown men and they know when they need to sleep. If you think about it logically, and in a real life situation, it makes it really rough on the driver to have to follow the current hours of service. Let me explain. When I worked for the larger company, I would be on the road for a minimum of two weeks at a time. So now not only do I have to work about my daily hour usage, I also have to worry about my weekly hour usage. (If you would like more detail on the hours of service let me know.) In short, I could not drive more than about 8 to 8.5 hours a day to stay under the weekly hour limit. This means that for about 16 hours a day I would have to sit. Who wants to sit in a truck that long, most people wont sleep 16 hours. I just don't agree with the hours of service set the way they are.

Also one last note about large versus small companies. Equipment. Most large companies will buy the low end equipment with a quick turnover rate. The large company I worked for would sell their trucks after 3-4 years of service. Smaller companies, the smart ones, dont want to have to buy new trucks that often, so they generally buy a little bit higher quality. Also with the large company trailer changes were more than a daily occurance most days, and you never knew what to expect when picking up a different trailer. Most people would drop trailers that needed repairs, rather than taking the time to repair them and have them ready for the next driver. A smaller company doesn't have so many trailers and usually you will keep the same trailer for the whole trip and return it to the terminal, where you would write it up and go home, so generally the trailers are better maintained and ready for the road. Don't get me wrong, its not the large companies fault the trailers are in ill-repair, its just the fact that the driver wants to get on with his next load and doesn't want to take the time to write it up and/or find a shop to fix it.

As for my military career, I was in the Army. I was honorably discharged for being a homosexual when I "came out" to my commanding officer. I did it for many reasons, not just to get out because I didn't like it. That could not be farther from the truth. I enjoyed my time in the service and I would be more than willing to return if and when they get rid of their dont ask dont tell policy. I did what I did because I realized I was putting my life on the line for a country that doesn't even want me to be there doing just that. Does that make sense? I will support my country again when my country is ready to support me. I know its still a touchy subject for many people, and I could spend all day writing a monologue about it, but I'll keep it short for now because I've already ranted on about the trucking subject.

I would have to say that my favorite job that I've had besides trucking would be working in a small tire shop. I don't know if its because its still related to transportation, or if its because I like to use my mechanical skills, or maybe a little bit of both. After that I would have to say doing the flooring was fun to, because I like to do home maintenance and remodelling type work. Im a result oriented person, I like to see the results of my work.

I don't really have a lot of hobbies I guess. Just working on my truck (1984 Dodge 1/2 ton), driving (I like to just get in and go for a drive for no reason sometimes), camping (though I don't get to do much of it), and my new hobby, writing this blog. As for living in rural Pennsylvania, I love it. Im the type of person who likes to be out away from the confusion and noise of the city, but still close enough to go to the city for a fun night or a short weekend trip. Where I live its only a short drive to all the major cities; Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Harrisburg, York, and even not really too far for a day trip or weekend trip to New York City, though I don't have to much desire to go there. I've been to NYC for work many times, but it just doesn't strike me as the type of place I want to hang out.

Thanks for the great questions. Thats what I'm looking for, someone who wants to know things about me or about anything random they happen to be thinking about. So please don't be afraid to ask, and also, don't be afraid to identify yourself.


Live, Laugh, and Love
Young Trucker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. How much and what types of training did you have to complete to become a truck driver? What type of items do you haul? Do the rising costs of fuel directly impact your work in any way? Have the trucking companies raised their rates to haul freight? Do you think trains will begin to haul more freight if the fuel prices continue to increase at an alarming rate? Where do you think gas and diesel prices will max out? Do you support Hillary Clinton's idea to release American oil reserves to bring fuel prices under some type of control?

What do you do when you must stop after 8 or 8.5 hours of driving? Do you sleep in your cab? Does your company allow you to get a room? On cold nights, do you have to run your truck all night for heat (if you are sleeping in the cab)? If you stay in your cab, do you have a television? What do you do if you are driving in extremely bad weather? Do you pull over or continue your run to stay on schedule? Truckers were once considered "kinghts of the road," but in recent years that reputation has seemed to change. Would you explain why?

What was the reaction of your commanding officer when you admitted your orientation? Did he or she yell at you? Do other truckers know you are gay? What are their reactions if they know? Are there a lot of gay truckers?

Anonymous said...

Does anyone in the trucking business still use the CB radio???